Sloppy Joe’s. When I hear it, a picture comes to mind of ground beef, smothered in Sloppy Joe sauce sitting between two hamburger buns. Perhaps with a side of fries. Maybe with some Coleslaw. Yum.
But this is a new take on an old classic. Take your average Tater Tot Casserole and turn it into something fabulous! What I really like about this Sloppy Joe Tater Tot Casserole is that it is very simple to make and prepare. Sloppy Joe sauce, beef, got to have the shredded cheese, add some corn and remember those tater tots.
It’s a kid favorite and perfect for parties, potlucks and potato fests. That last one I made up but there might be one in existence.
So, forget about the buns and switch it up to tater tots! No regrets here. I don’t even cook the original “Sloppy Joes” any longer. This tater tot casserole is just too good!
First spray a 9 X 13-inch casserole dish with olive oil or some other oil. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F.
While your oven is preheating, spray a skillet with olive oil and brown the 1 ½ pounds of ground beef over medium high heat. Add the chopped two cloves of garlic. Drain beef and garlic. Return to the pan.
Feel free to use whatever meat you choose. The possibilities are endless. How about ground sausage or turkey? Don’t be afraid to experiment with different ingredients, this is cooking, not a test!
For the sauce, this will be easy. I am not asking to go out and buy a can of Sloppy Joe sauce. Spare yourself the trouble and make your own from scratch. It’s much better and doesn’t have that HFCS.
Sloppy Joe Sauce: One can of tomato sauce, ketchup, yellow mustard, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, chili powder, brown sugar, dried oregano and a dash of pepper to taste. Add these ingredients to the skillet with the browned beef and garlic. Simmer for approximately five minutes.
At this point you can add one cup of sharp cheddar cheese. Then add the one cup of frozen corn. Now for those adventurous types. I guess you could shuck your corn instead of using the packaged frozen. Try whatever you like. It’s not set in stone, just corn. Stir together until heated through and then with a spatula scoop the beef mixture into the casserole dish.
Then grab those Tater Tots from the Freezer. Arrange tater tots on top of the casserole in a single layer. Normally I just dump them on top, but for pictures the tater tots must be photogenic!
Then place in the preheated oven on the bottom rack and bake uncovered for 25 minutes. Sprinkle the last ½ cup sharp cheddar cheese on top, then bake for 5 more minutes until the cheese is melted. Get crazy with the cheese, add more if you like. In my house, no hot stringy stretchy cheese is allowed. According to my youngest special needs son.
Remove from the oven and let cool for at least ten minutes.
Sloppy Joe Tater Tot Casserole
Yield 6-8 servings depending on size
This Sloppy Joe Casserole might be similar to the Ol' Sloppy Joe's with buns. Forget the buns and switch it up with Tater Tots. It also has some added flavor of cheddar cheese and corn!
- 1 1/2 pounds of ground beef
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 15 ounce can of tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup of ketchup
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- dash of ground pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup frozen kernel corn
- 1 (2 pound package) frozen tater tots
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Grease a 9 x 13 inch casserole dish with olive oil.
- Preheat to 425 degrees F.
- In 10 inch skillet or pan, brown the ground beef with the garlic over medium high heat until fully cooked. Drain beef. Return to pan.
- Continue to add remaining ingredients except tater tots and at this time add the one cup of sharp cheddar cheese followed by the frozen corn. Stir well until heated through.
- Pour beef mixture into the casserole dish and arrange tater tots on top in a single layer.
- Cook uncovered in preheated oven for 25 minutes.
- Sprinkle the last 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese on top, then cook uncovered for 5 more minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and cool for a least 10 minutes.
Tailored for You:
- You may use any type of meat: ground turkey, pork, ground chicken. It does not necessarily have to be beef. Try adding ground sausage!
Low Sodium Recipe:
- Use "No Salt Added or Low Sodium" tomato paste and tomato Sauce
- Completely omit the corn and cheese. Be creative and add other ingredients. Try adding one diced bell pepper. Sometimes we may not have all the ingredients in the pantry. So use what you have.
Courses Main Dish
If you baked this recipe feel free to let me know in the comments or hashtag #tailoredspoon on Instagram! I am also on Pinterest, Twitter and Facebook. If you have questions as well, ask me and I will try to answer them as best as I can. Thanks so much for gathering here at the Tailored Spoon! I love sharing the recipes that I cook with you!